Monday 25 November 2013

So it begins!

Hi everyone!  Well, I finally did it.  I can now tick published author off my list.  Well, I was able to do that back in May when I won 3rd place in a state literature competition, but I wanted to be an author with a published book.

My journey first started twelve months ago when I wanted to try writing a romance novel.  The novel turned into a novella as I didn't want a boring and cumbersome book to have to write.  I was looking into all sorts of methods to get it published without having a publishing house.  All I can say is thank goodness for e-books!

At first I was a little nervous about doing this as it seems quite egocentric to publish your own works.  You worry whether or not your work is actually any good or not.  Having friends and family read your work isn't always ideal, but you need some honest friends in your life who won't stroke your ego.

After much deliberation, I finally finished my debut novella "All Bets Off" in November 2013.  It is now available at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/381181.  Within 48 hours is has been downloaded almost 200 times and is in 7 libraries.

To me, writing can really let a person into your mind and is quite scary!  You are pretty much leaving yourself open, and well, if it's bad you have to be able to accept any negative comments that you will receive.  It is important to remember for aspiring writers that not everyone will like your work.  In fact, some people will downright hate it.

So far I have had a couple of nice reviews on the story and just to have even one person I don't know who enjoyed it has given me such a thrill.  Writing is such a therapeutic release for me and I love it!

So, welcome to my 'official blog'.  A good friend of mine from high school (thanks Kelly!!) has given me the courage I needed to pursue this.  She keeps reminding me that now I have published this book I have to be there to promote myself with social media and blogs...let potential readers know who I am and what my style is like.

Some people pursue this writing passion in the hope of making big bucks.  Not me though.  While I intend to actually sell some future books, they will not be expensive.  E-books are a great way to cut down on costs and make buying of books so much cheaper!  I can't tell you how many e-books I have downloaded in the last eighteen months!

Well, anyway, I think that's enough of my rambling for now, so thanks and it has been a pleasure to meet you!

Regards,
Kelly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment